ENVIRONMENTAL ASPECTS & IMPACTS
Our operations are regularly evaluated for opportunities to minimize environmental impact, and we emphasize regulatory compliance and an internal accountability framework to ensure success. Our teams continually review our processes and strive to reduce resource consumption and eliminate potential hazards and exposures. Where potential impacts remain, appropriate control technologies and procedures are implemented and maintained.
The following goals are part of our Pollution Prevention Plan:
- Air/Energy: Reduce vehicle petroleum consumption
- Materials: Implement acquisition programs aimed at procuring products that are environmentally preferable, energy efficient, or contain post-consumer materials
- Training: Develop an environmental training program focused on hazard communications and pollution prevention
- Solid Waste: Reduce solid waste by reducing, reusing, and recycling
CLIMATE CHANGE STATEMENT
Climate change is a reality. We are fully cognizant of our role in global warming, primarily though greenhouse gas emissions. These observed changes are unprecedented, with tangible effects that we are starting to see more and more every day. The atmosphere is now warmer, and so are the oceans, with the amounts of snow and ice diminishing and sea levels rising. These impacts will not be stopping any time soon, unless we all become aware of them and act.
At V2X, we not only seek to comply with emission regulations but also find ways to optimize our processes and operations wherever significant impacts are identified.
CLIMATE-RELATED RISKS AND OPPORTUNITIES
Policy and Legal Risks
- New, more stringent policies that would increase operation costs.
- GHG emissions regulations such as carbon tax.
- Improving energy efficiency will reduce the total energy consumed and the total operating cost.
Technology and Cost Risks
- Existing procedures to become obsolete or out of compliance.
- Rising fuel prices.
- Increased costs for water.
- Opportunities for growth may be impacted.
- Actively seek new energy alternatives and opportunities to meet our energy usage needs from renewable resources.
- More demanding customers regarding operations and environmental practices.
- Adaptation measures.
- Liability risks.
- Opportunity to establish the business as an environmental leader.
- Changes in Operations considering weather variability.
- Damage to infrastructures through extreme weather.
CLIMATE CHANGE STRATEGY AND GOALS
At V2X, we aim to reduce our environmental burden through customized environmental programs in all areas of operations including:
- Energy Management: Reduction of energy use – electricity, fuel consumption, and effective resource utilization
- Air Management: Pollution prevention
- Water Management: Responsible use and recycling
- Waste Management: Reduction of waste, reusing and recycling
V2X has an energy conservation plan in place for all programs. This energy conservation plan includes detailed procedures on energy conservation action items including:
- Maximum heating temperatures and cooling temperatures for occupied buildings and facilities, unoccupied buildings, offices, and maintenance bays
- Efficient use of natural light to avoid unnecessary electricity consumption
- Constant monitoring of energy use to identify reduction opportunities
- Computer monitors use energy-saving settings and go into standby mode
- All office equipment not in use or performing a function is turned off
- Vehicles are not allowed to idle if unoccupied
- Vehicle operators strictly adhere to posted speed limits
We are constantly looking for ways to reduce our waste generation. We encourage the separation of waste at the source, with most programs having a solid recycling program, and a composting program that collects food scraps and garden waste.
Recently, we have started looking at several recycling and reuse opportunities in connection with abandoned scrap yards. One example is our NSGB Program in Cuba where thousands of metric tons of scrap metal were recovered and sold.
We are currently looking at other opportunities to improve our processes and efficiencies by reusing several materials which may also generate additional revenue.
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS MANAGEMENT
Hazardous materials handling is a very common aspect of our operations. Our procedures are specific to all phases of handling these substances, including storage, use, and disposal. Through a complete assessment of these operations, we make sure measures are taken to reduce negative environmental impacts and hazardous exposures.
This rigorous approach ensures accurate inventories, appropriate precautions and safe practices, and up to date emergency and first aid procedures.
AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT
The air program intends to identify all sources of air emissions and determine the pollutants and the quantities emitted. All operations that involve the emission of air pollutants are constantly examined to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations, human health protection, and that best practices are followed. Emissions Monitoring Systems measure effluent gases of interest such as NOx, SOx, CO2, heavy metals, Dioxins/furans, HCl, and Particulate Matter.
In accordance with different policies, emissions of ozone-depleting substances shall be minimized to the greatest extent possible.
We operate in countries with extremely high baseline water stress (such as Qatar, Kuwait, and Bahrain), countries with high baseline water stress (such as Spain and Turkey) and countries with medium-high baseline water stress. We have significant operations in the most water-stressed region of the planet – the Middle East. Climate change threatens to intensify the situation, with lower rainfall and higher temperatures. These water-stressed regions are expected to become drier, increasing the vulnerability of ecosystems and limiting water availability.
V2X’ Water Conservation Plan objective is to conserve and protect water resources. It ensures that water usage and consumption data is constantly monitored and that we identify trends to improve efficiency. Metering, including process-related services, provides enough data to review billing transactions, usage patterns, and levels and system efficiencies. Negative trends can be quickly identified and then followed by immediate corrective action.
Water conservation is the responsibility of all of our employees and our customers. Our project managers lead the effort to reduce consumption and initiate programs aimed at improving water savings.
Even though V2X has limited operations in areas with high biodiversity, all employees are encouraged to protect natural and cultural resources within all areas of responsibility. This includes plant life, wild animals, and any cultural resources that may be part of V2X’ operating locations.
Special efforts are made to avoid any adverse impact on internationally protected animal and plant species and their habitats.